US deploys attack helicopters to strike ISIS in Libya

Author : Mircea Birca | Thursday, August 25, 2016
Posted in category Africa, Africa News, Eurasia, Eurasia News
Comments Off

imgThe United States has begun using attack helicopters to target the Islamic State group in the jihadists’ Libyan former stronghold of Sirte, a defence official said on Tuesday.

American jets have since the start of August been helping fighters loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) retake the coastal city of Sirte, conducting dozens of strikes on ISIS fighting positions and equipment.

Lieutenant Commander Anthony Falvo, a spokesperson for the US military’s Africa Command, said Marine Corps AH-1W SuperCobra attack helicopters had in recent days joined the operation.

“The Cobras provide additional precision airstrike capability,” Stuttgart-based Falvo said.

“It gives us a little bit more flexibility.”

SuperCobra gunships are based on the USS Wasp, an amphibious assault ship in the Mediterranean.

Harrier jets are also being launched from the ship to conduct strikes on Sirte.

As of Monday, the United States had conducted 77 airstrikes in the city.

Pro-GNA forces, backed since August 1 by US air strikes, began an assault in mid-May to expel ISIS from what had been its Sirte stronghold.

The jihadists seized control of the city, which had been the hometown of Libya’s slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi, in June 2015.

They fought their way into Sirte on June 9 and have since faced a barrage of sniper fire, suicide bombings and booby traps, pinning down the jihadists in a downtown area near the sea.

More than 350 pro-GNA fighters have been killed and nearly 2 000 wounded in the battle, according to medical sources. ISIS casualty figures are unavailable.

The Pentagon has said US involvement in the Sirte operation would last “weeks not months”, but Falvo did not want to speculate on how much longer the United States would continue its air campaign.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.