UN Secretary-General condemns Lahore blast

Author : Mircea Birca | Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Comments Off

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Monday, strongly condemned the terrorist attack in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

Guterres’ deputy spokesman said in a statement that the secretary-general extended his condolences to the families of the victims and wished those injured a full recovery.

“He supports the efforts of the Government of Pakistan to fight terrorism and violent extremism with full respect for international human rights norms and obligations,” said the spokesperson.

At least 26 people were killed and dozens injured when the suicide blast took place in a busy vegetable market near Arfa Karim Technology Park on bustling main Ferozepur Road in the south of Lahore.

The area was busy with police at the time because officers had been sent to the market to clear stalls that had illegally spilt onto the road.

Provincial law minister Rana Sanaullah said the blast had appeared to target the vegetable market, which was crowded with shoppers.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.