Dig Near Donji Vakuf Fails to Yield Mass Grave

Author : Mircea Birca | Friday, April 25, 2014
Posted in category Balkans, Bosnia Hertegovina
Comments Off

No remains of victims from the 1990s war from the Prijedor area have been found at Oborci locality, near Donji Vakuf, after two days of digging.

Lejla Cengic, spokesperson of the Institute for the Missing Persons of Bosnia and Herzegovina, said expectations of finding a mass grave at the site had been disappointed.

Cengic said as little as 15 per cent of reports about mass graves turned out to be correct, which was one of the key problems facing the Institute.

It had been assumed that up to 150 Bosniak victims from the Prijedor area might be found at this location.

An area 20 metres long and 30 wide on a part of the road between Donji Vakuf and Travnik was dug and searched.

Last year, a mass grave was found at the Tomasica mines, near Prijedor. Hundreds of bodies of Bosniak civilians were later exhumed. It is believed to be one of the largest of its kind in the country.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.