Iraqi forces say kill 120 militants in Basra operation

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – At least 120 “enemy” fighters have been killed in a four-day-old Iraqi military operation against Shi’ite militias in the southern oil hub of Basra, a senior Iraqi commander said on Friday.

“So far the sighted casualties are 120 killed from the enemy and 450 wounded,” Major-General Ali Zaidan, commander of Iraqi ground forces in the operation, told Reuters by telephone from Basra.

(Reporting by Waleed Ibrahim, writing

Check Also

Western sanctions against Damascus must evolve—Just as Syria has

The fall of former Syrian president Bashar al-Assad’s regime came not with a grand international …