After six days of searching, Montenegrin investigators and forensic experts from the EU rule of law mission in Kosovo (EULEX) say they have not found evidence of mass graves in the area around Andrijevica, near the border with Kosovo.
Biljana Covic, a spokesperson for the high court in the town of Bijelo Polje, told Balkan Insight that the investigation ended yesterday.
“After six days of investigating the site, no evidence which could confirm the existence of a mass grave has been found,” she said.
She went on to say that the Montenegrin investigating judge would now draft a court’s record of the investigation and pass it on to the Prosecutor’s office.
The search was prompted by allegations of a mass grave in the area believed to contain bodies of Kosovo Albanians.
The investigation at the site was launched last Tuesday, after Montenegro’s Special Prosecutor for Organized Crime asked the investigating judge of court in the town of Bijelo Polje to issue an order for a detailed search of the land around a sawmill that is owned by the municipality of Andrijevica.
Radio Television Montenegro reported that during the war in Kosovo in 1999, more then ten Kosovo Albanians were believed to have been held in the military barracks in Andrijevica.
Montenegro declared its independence from Serbia in 2006.
Several mass grave sites containing the bodies of Kosovo Albanians killed during the war in Kosovo have been found in Serbia in recent years. The bodies were often re-buried in Serbia in an attempt to hide evidence of crimes.
Earlier this month Serbian and EULEX officials began an investigation at a suspected mass grave located in the Raska area in southwestern Serbia which is believed to contain more than 250 bodies of Kosovo Albanians killed during the 1998-99 war.