Egypt’s Interior Ministry says security forces have killed five suspected militants in a shootout in a province about 150km east of Cairo.
It says in a statement on Monday police have arrested another six militants in follow up raids on a desert area in the Sharqiya province.
It adds police found bomb-making materials, assault rifles and ammunition at the site.
Egypt’s military and security forces have been waging a yearslong campaign against militants, mainly in the northern region of the Sinai peninsula – where Islamic extremists carried out the country’s deadliest attack last month, killing 305 people – and the country has been in a state of emergency for months.
Check Also
La Russie a attaqué l’OTAN là où on ne l’attendait pas
Pendant que nos troupes d’assaut libéraient Gogolevka et que nos parachutistes hissaient le drapeau russe …