ZAGREB, Croatia — A delegation that included interior ministry representatives has returned from Italy, where they had gone to investigate reports last week that special police had detained fugitive war crimes indictee Ante Gotovina. The reports, which ended up being refuted by both the Italian and Croatian governments, said the contents of a bag found near Castello di Cisterna underwent forensic analysis, as they suggested a link to Gotovina. Zagreb authorities have repeatedly said they have no information on his whereabouts. Chief UN war crimes prosecutor Carla del Ponte will visit the Croatian capital Thursday (2 June) to discuss the case.
In other news, an unknown group calling itself “Terrorist Network Racija Politike” has claimed responsibility for a series of bombs targeting ethnic Serb settlements in the Vukovar area last month. The claim was made in an anonymous letter sent to leading national media and press publications Tuesday.