Foreign Enrichment Offer still Stands

A02237762.jpgTEHRAN (Fars News Agency)- The Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman said at the weekend that a year-old offer from President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for foreign countries to handle its uranium enrichment activities still stands as a way to break the deadlock over its nuclear program.

Foreign ministry spokesman Seyed Mohammad Ali Hosseini also said a suggestion made by Iran earlier this month for a French led-consortium to enrich uranium for Iran on Iranian soil remained ‘appropriate’.

“Mr. Ahmadinejad in his speech last year to the UN General Assembly proposed that other countries participate in the uranium enrichment and this proposal still stands,” Hosseini continued.

Ahmadinejad had proposed in that speech to “engage in serious partnership with private and public sectors of other countries in the implementation of the uranium enrichment program in Iran.”

His idea was revived earlier this month when a top Iranian nuclear official said France should form a consortium that would manufacture uranium on Iranian soil and thus break the deadlock.

Hosseini described the moves to impose sanctions against Iran as “psychological warfare”.

He stressed, “The Iranian nation is not scared of possible sanctions and is determined to go on its way to the peaceful use of nuclear energy.”

Iran vehemently denies US accusations its nuclear program is aimed at producing weapons, and underlines that the West, specially the United States, is seeking to deprive Tehran of its inalienable rights.

Check Also

IAEA Demands Iran Explain ‘Undeclared Nuclear Material’

The UN nuclear watchdog said on February 23 that it is “deeply concerned” that Iran …