MP Dismisses Plan for outside Enrichment

A031190641.jpgA prominent Iranian lawmaker here on Tuesday dismissed all proposals offering establishment of a nuclear consortium outside Iran to enrich uranium for the Islamic Republic. “Our nation does not accept formation of a consortium outside Iranian territories,” vice-chairman of the parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Mohammad Nabi Roudaki said.

Referring to a plan recently proposed by Saudi Arabia for the establishment of a consortium outside the region to enrich uranium and provide nuclear fuel for Middle-East users, including Iran, the legislator said, “This is not a new plan. We announced last year and the year before last that enrichment outside Iran will not be acceptable to us.”

“We accept formation of an international consortium within the framework of international rules and regulations, but on the Islamic Republic of Iran’s soil,” he reiterated.

Roudaki stressed that Tehran does not need to join any consortium as it has already acquired enrichment technology and can produce its needed nuclear fuel domestically and under the inspection of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Check Also

Iran’s Raisi attacks US during speech to Russian parliament

The Iranian president addressed Russian lawmakers on the second day of his visit to Moscow, …