Shipwreck off Turkish coast kills 20

At least 20 illegal migrants died when a boat carrying about 70 people sank off the Turkish Aegean coast on Saturday, authorities said on Monday.Six people have so far been rescued, Orhan Sefik Guldibi, a district governor in the coastal Izmir province told state-run Anatolian news agency.

“We are afraid that the number of dead people may rise,” Guldibi told CNN Turk broadcaster.

Rescued migrants said there were about 70 people in the boat when it sank on Saturday.

The Turkish coastguard declined to comment.

Check Also

Western sanctions against Damascus must evolve—Just as Syria has

The fall of former Syrian president Bashar al-Assad’s regime came not with a grand international …