TEHRAN (FNA)- Former Iranian President Seyed Mohammad Khatami announced that he will not be a candidate in the upcoming presidential election.
“I had been advised against going public with my decision, otherwise I would have announced sooner that I am not going to run for president,” Khatami said.
The report comes as earlier on Sunday, Khatami, who ran on the reformist platform during his presidency, called on the Reformist camp to prepare for a strong reappearance in the country’s political arena.
“The Reformist camp should reconsider its defensive approach and go on the offensive,” Khatami said.
The former Iranian president also criticized the administration of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for its “aggressive policies”, saying the current policies only provide grounds for the enemy to justify its acts against the country.
“Aggressive and blistering rhetoric plays into the hands of the enemy, harming the country and the system,” Kargozaran newspaper quoted Khatami as saying.
Khatami, who ran for president from 1997 to 2005, was expected to play a major role in Reformists’ efforts to recapture the presidency in the 2009 race.
Iran’s 10th presidential election is scheduled to take place in June 12, 2009.