Turkey reacts to China unrest

ANKARA, Turkey

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday (July 8th) he will ask the UN Security Council to discuss ways to stop clashes in China. Beijing reacted to Erdogan’s statement on Thursday saying it is a domestic issue. “This is purely China’s internal affair and doesn’t demand a UN Security Council discussion,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Qin Gang said.

Industry and Trade Minister Nihat Ergun called on Thursday for a boycott of Chinese products due to tensions in the Xinjiang-Uighur Autonomous Region, where clashes erupted earlier this week between local Chinese and Muslim minority Uighurs. Erdogan says that if Uighur leader Rebia Kadeer applies for a visa, Turkey will issue her one.

Check Also

Why Turkey looks to make another deal with the EU

BRUSSELS ­– Despite domestic political turmoil, Ankara’s timing to pitch closer ties with the EU …