Shelling of the South Ossetian village Otrev from the Georgian territory causes concern of the South Ossetian population who “are afraid of the repetition of the August 2008 events,” spokeswoman for the South Ossetian Defence Ministry Galina Guchmazova told the Vesti news television channel in an interview. “Taking into account the fact that Georgia refuses to sign an agreement on the non-use of force, perhaps, anything can be expected,” she said.
Guchmazova called a provocation the Monday shelling of the South Ossetian village of Otrev from the Georgian side and said that “such provocations from the Georgian side have become more frequent of late.” “Last year, it all started from such provocations,” she added.
According to earlier reports, three mortar shots were made from the area of the Georgian village of Plavi at 22:05, Moscow time, Monday on the Ossetian village of Otrev. One of the shells exploded on the outskirts of the village, there were no casualties or destruction.