Higher Prosecutor’s Office indicts 12 people for setting the US embassy in Belgrade on fire during Belgrade riots of 2008.Vlado Djordjevic, head of the state public prosecutor’s office, said the Higher Prosecutor’s Office has issued an indictment against 12 people for setting the US embassy in Belgrade on fire in 2008.
Djordjevic said the group of 12 are charged with endangering the public but the contents of the indictment are yet to be disclosed.The embassy was set on fire on February 21, 2008, following Kosovo’s declaration of independence.
A group of unidentified perpetrators threw stones, flares and other objects at the US embassy, smashing doors and windows and causing a fire on the premises.
Zoran Vujovic, aged 20 from Novi Sad, died in the blaze.
The violent incidents happened after a rally in Belgrade, called to protest over the unilateral declaration of independence, which Serbia claims is its territory.
In mid-April, the Higher Court in Belgrade launched an investigation, and placed 11 suspects in detention.
The High Court in Novi Sad detained and launched an investigation into two suspects who were minors when the incident took place.
So far, one only person has been charged over the fire. The District Prosecutor’s Office in Belgrade raised charges against Milan Zivanovic in April 2009.
The case against him restarted from scratch in February 2011 after the judge who was running the trial was replaced.