ISIS attack repelled in Libya

Benghazi – Libyan guards said on Monday they repelled a maritime assault by the Islamic State jihadist group on Zueitina oil terminal in the north of the country.
ISIS tried last week to seize export terminals in the so-called “oil crescent” of northern Libya, killing 56 people in two suicide bombings in Zliten and Ras Lanouf, east of Tripoli.
“On Sunday night, the guards intercepted three boats trying to enter the oil port of Zueitina,” Ali al-Hassi, spokesperson for the guards protecting oil facilities for Libya’s recognised
government.
“They opened fire and hit one of the boats. The other two made off but returned a short while later to tow the vessel which had been hit,” he said.
“We can say it was ISIS because we’d received information that ISIS would try to enter Zueitina by sea,” the spokesperson told AFP.
ISIS has been trying for several weeks to push east from its coastal stronghold of Sirte, threatening to seize control of Libya’s oil wealth.
Libya descended into chaos following the 2011 ousting and killing of long serving dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
It has had rival administrations since August 2014, when an Islamist-backed militia alliance overran Tripoli, forcing the government to take refuge in the east.
The United Nations is pressing both sides to accept a power-sharing agreement it hopes will help to reverse ISIS’s territorial gains.
Oil is Libya’s main natural resource, and the country sits on reserves estimated at 48 billion barrels, the largest in Africa.

Check Also

Jihadi Trends: What Is On The Horizon In 2024?

Introduction The Hamas attack against Israel on October 7, 2023, has reinvigorated jihadi groups such …