US limits contacts with Afghan military after insider attacks

The US military in Afghanistan has halted most face-to-face contacts with the Afghan security forces and has temporarily withdrawn troops from Afghan security facilities after recent “insider” shootings, US media reported on Thursday.
Two key Afghan officials and a Nato soldier were killed in the attacks that began last week while a US brigadier was also injured. The top US commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Scott Miller, was also present at a facility in Kandahar where an insider attack last Thursday killed provincial police commander Gen. Abdul Raziq and intelligence chief Abdul Momin.
Gen. Miller had left the facility minutes before the attack.
A spokesman for the US-led military mission in Afghanistan told The Washington Post that recent attacks by Afghan security personnel on foreign troops forced them to take this “standard” precautionary measures.
The two forces were now communicating by telephones and emails while “some meetings [are] also taking place in US facilities,” the spokesman said.
A senior Afghan military officer told The Post that American troops “have been ordered not to visit the Afghan side of our base for a few days, but we can visit them on their side”.
The officer, however, clarified that the joint control and command centre was still active.

Check Also

Kremlin’s Neo-Traditionalism Deepening Divide Between Russians And North Caucasians

The peoples of the North Caucasus and the majority of Russians are going in different …