The Iranian foreign ministry in a statement on Tuesday dismissed Saudi Arabia’s “fabricated” allegations of capturing a terrorist group with links to Iran.
“The recent allegations by the Saudi officials against the Islamic Republic of Iran are in line with the country’s invalid and repeated positions in the past few years,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said.
He added that the Saudi rulers who have put aside political rationality are using a worn-out scenario to divert the public opinion and put a cap on their failed measures in the region.
“Repeated, stereotype and cheap allegations of the Saudi rulers is no way to help Saudi Arabia to attain goals and we recommend Saudi Arabia to choose the path of honesty and wisdom instead of cheap and dictated scenarios,” Khatibzadeh said.
His remarks came after authorities in Saudi Arabia claimed that they had arrested 10 people and seized weapons and explosives. Riyadh claimed that three of those held had been trained to make explosives, while the other seven had ties to Iran.
The arrests were said to be made last week after a probe uncovered the suspects’ identities and two hideouts; a house and a farm, according to a statement made by the Presidency of State Security, a Saudi intelligence body.