KANDAHAR, AfghanistanÂ – The governor of Afghanistan’s most important southern province escaped unscathed from a roadside bomb on Monday, but three civilians were wounded in the attack, his office said in a statement.
The governor of Kandahar province, Asadullah Khalid, was traveling to open several reconstruction projects in the Shah Wali Kot district, north of the city of Kandahar, when his car was hit by a roadside bomb, the statement said.
Last year saw record violence across Afghanistan with more than 6,000 killed, nearly 2,000 of them civilians.
Kandahar is the birthplace of the Taliban and the main city in the volatile south.
Elsewhere in the south, the mullah of a village mosque and two of his sons were killed and his wife and daughter wounded when a roadside bomb being prepared went off inside their house in Helmand province, a senior police official said.
Taliban insurgents planted hundreds of roadside bombs last year, launched more than 140 suicide attacks and targeted dozens of government officials as part of their campaign to overthrow the pro-Western Afghan government and eject the 50,000 foreign troops from the country.