Egyptian foreign minister Nabil Fehmi condemned last week’s alleged chemical attack in Damascus, and said he had spoken to the US secretary of state on the issue of the crisis in Syria on Sunday as pressure mounts for an international response.
“Egypt condemned the Ghouta attacks in Syria and said that all countries in the region were very concerned for Syria and its unity,” Fehmi told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that he spoke to US Secretary of State John Kerry on the telephone about the situation in Syria. He affirmed Kerry’s concern about the use of chemical weapons and the importance of allowing UN inspectors into the area to investigate the issue.
The minister said on Sunday that “I pointed out during my conversation with Kerry that the Egyptian foreign ministry issued a statement condemning the attack and rejecting the escalation in Syria, which affects the Syrian state and its future.”
Fehmi added that the issue will be discussed at the Arab League meeting on Tuesday, to make a decision which leading to a political settlement.