The United Nations on Saturday condemned a fresh outbreak of violence in Libya, just as rival factions prepare to resume talks on forming a government to halt the country’s conflict.
Pro-government forces clashed Friday and Saturday with fighters from the Islamist-backed Fajr Libya militia alliance in Aziziya, a town 35km west of Tripoli.
Fajr Libya seized Tripoli in August and installed a government and a parliament opposed to the elected legislature and the country’s internationally-recognised government, both of which have taken refuge in the country’s far east.
Loyalist forces first launched an offensive in March to try to recapture Tripoli, clashing with Fajr Libya militiamen in Aziziya. Earlier this month, four people died in another confrontation.
And on Friday, 10 soldiers were killed and 40 others wounded in fighting with armed groups in the eastern city of Benghazi, medical and military sources said.
The UN mission in Libya (UNSMIL), in a statement, called for “an immediate cessation of hostilities” which it said come “at a time when significant progress in being made” in peace efforts.
Talks are due to resume on Monday in Algiers and focus on the formation of a government of national unity as well as security issues.