Army says most have joined the rebels Burkina

Ouagadougou – A majority of the troops of the elite Army regiment Burkina Faso behind a failed coup joined the loyalist units after it was dismantled, an army source told AFP Thursday.
“More than 800 men” on the 1300 in the powerful Presidential Security Regiment (RSP) who made the coup on September 17, took new assignments, a source in the military high command said.
The regiment, which was loyal to the ousted president, Blaise Compaoré, was dissolved last week and its members assigned to other units.
More than 600 soldiers reported for duty at a military barracks on the outskirts of Ouagadougou, the capital, the source added.
Those who have yet to join the loyalist forces have until Friday to present their new assignments, otherwise “they will be considered deserters,” the source said, adding some “irreducible and leaders” have always wanted by authorities .
Army Chief of General Staff Pingrenoma Zagre said “many” rebels had left their barracks before the army stormed their camp Tuesday to end a deadlock of almost two weeks.
No one was injured in the assault, the interim president Michel Kafando said Wednesday during a visit to the barracks of Ouaga 2000 district of the capital.
At least 10 people were killed and over 100 injured in the protests triggered by the coup, which came a few weeks before the first elections to be held since 2,014 Compaore ouster after 27 years of rule by the iron fist .

Check Also

Why Egypt and Turkey are ending a decade of tension

On 14 February, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah el-Sisi …