Lebanonâ€™s Western-backed ruling coalition on Monday accused the pro-Syrian opposition party Hizbollah of obstructing initiatives to resolve a crisis over the looming presidential election.Ruling coalition members harshly criticised a speech on Sunday by Hizbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah who called on pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud to adopt a â€œsalvationâ€ measure before the end of his term on November 24.
Lahoud has warned that if no consensus candidate is found for the top job, he may name a parallel government – a reminder of the last years of Lebanonâ€™s 1975-1990 civil war when two competing administrations battled for control.
â€œIt is a coup dâ€™etat, it is clearly aimed at planting discord and foiling all attempts to resolveâ€ the crisis, Sports and Youth Minister Ahmad Fatfat told AFP.
â€œIt is a call for the formation of a parallel government in order to create a real confrontation,â€ he said. He said Nasrallahâ€™s speech was â€œSyriaâ€™s message in response to the French initiativeâ€.
Deputy Parliamentary Speaker Farid Makari charged that Nasrallah was â€œseeking to foil… the French initiative ahead of the arrival of French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchnerâ€.
Kouchner was due in Beirut later Monday for a 24-hour visit aimed at helping to resolve the crisis over the presidency.
In a fiery speech late Sunday, Nasrallah called on Lahoud â€œto adopt an initiative to prevent the country from falling into a vacuum if there is no agreementâ€ on a new president. Opposition leader and Parliamentary Speaker Nabih Berri on Saturday postponed until November 21, for a third time, a special session to elect a new president.
The parliamentary majority, with 68 MPs in the 127-seat house, has threatened to go ahead on its own with a presidential vote if no consensus candidate is found. Nasrallah warned that the opposition would not recognise a president unless he was elected by two-thirds of MPs.
Meanwhile, a French peacekeeper was killed and another wounded in a shooting accident in south Lebanon on Monday, the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) said.
UNIFIL spokeswoman Yasmina Bouziane said in a statement the two soldiers suffered gunshot injuries in an â€œaccidental discharge of a weaponâ€ at a peacekeeping base. One soldier died as he was being evacuated by helicopter to a hospital in the port city of Sidon.
Bouziane said the second soldier suffered moderate wounds and was in stable condition. The incident was under investigation, she added.
UNIFIL was expanded after last yearâ€™s war between Israel and Lebanon. Some 13,500 peacekeepers from 27 countries patrol south Lebanon and include a naval force that patrols the Lebanese coast.
The latest death brought to 268 the number of fatalities suffered by UNIFIL since the force first deployed in south Lebanon in 1978.