Egyptian checkpoint attacked by Islamic militants in north Sinai

Islamic militants attacked an army checkpoint in northern Sinai near the border with Gaza early on Wednesday, killing an officer, officials said.
The attack came as Egypt’s Islamic State affiliate, which is based in the restive peninsula, claimed responsibility for two attacks the previous day.
In Wednesday’s attack, militants opened fire on the checkpoint in el-Baraham near the border town of Rafah, triggering a shootout that killed 26-year-old Captain Ayman Hassan, said medical and security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
Meanwhile, the Islamic State affiliate in Egypt — previously known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis — claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attacks that killed two and wounded dozens in restive Sinai.
Egypt has been battling an Islamic insurgency in northern Sinai for years, but attacks against army and police there have dramatically increased since the 2013 ouster of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.
The military has undertaken a major offensive against militants in restive Sinai — where Egypt’s Islamic State affiliate is based — and declared a state of emergency, along with a dusk-to-dawn curfew.

Check Also

What Does China Really Want? – OpEd

The 73rd National Day of China on 1 October brings a new reflection on its …